While the emphasis may well focus on raising awareness about household items that are poisonous to children, it’s important to remember that many things in the home are also poisonous to our pets – cats, dogs and yes, even birds and other pets. The AVMA advises that raisins and grapes can be fatal to our canine family members and some plants, such as lilies are poisonous for our feline friends. Some kinds of nuts, such as macadamia nuts can cause paralysis in dogs and sadly, the most potent poisons for our pets are human medications. It’s important to know that many items commonly found in our homes can cause our loyal and beloved animal friends to become critically and perhaps even fatally ill. These items range from foods that they may enjoy eating, but shouldn’t, to cleaning chemicals and prescription drugs.
There are a number of reliable resources available to learn more about items commonly found in our homes that are poisonous to our pets.
It’s well worth your time to take a few minutes to review this information and make the changes needed in your own home to keep your animals safe from harmful products. Then give your furry friend a hug, knowing you’ve taken important steps to help him enjoy a long, happy and healthy life!